Horseback Riding Lessons | Hunter Jumper Training | Hunter Jumper Lessons
- Available for beginner riders (including those that have never ridden), as well as competitive riders
- Riders may choose to participate in private or group lessons
- Groups are arranged by the age and skill level of each student
- Rio Vista Farm has a large number of lesson horses available for private lessons, group lessons and leasing. These horses are also available for use at Rio Vista Horse Shows (6 per year) and occasionally for use at off-site shows
- Van service is available from Westlake Hills on a first come basis for the 5:30 p.m. after-school lessons: See Van information
Susan McMorris instructs those that own their own horses or are leasing. Boarders sign up for 2 specific group lesson days and times per week, which are included in the boarding rate. This allows us to group together riders by ability and to limit lesson size. In addition, many riders choose to take an additional third lesson per week. Susan began her professional career in 1984 after graduating from Meredith Manor School of Equestrian Studies. She has operated Hunter/Jumper training/lesson barns since 1985, creating many lesson programs and summer camp operations that have been copied throughout the city. She has taken many riders from summer camp level to year end high point winner in Hunters, Jumpers and Equitation. Rio Vista trained riders and horses are seen regularly in the year end high point standings at the National, State and Local levels. Current and past award winners can be seen in the Junior Hunter and Eq. divisions, Children and Adult Hunter divisions, Children and Adult Jumper Division, and Jr Jumper through Grand Prix. All the training and showing of the competition and young horses is done by Susan and her husband Bill.
Katherine Chmielewski began riding at age 8, spent some time in eventing until she realized that hunter/jumper was the place to be. While studying at Colorado State University she worker for trainer Mark Mead. She then graduated from Texas State and worked for Lane’s End Farm in Magnolia while finishing college. Katherine instructs those that own their own horses or are leasing. She competes regularly as our main trainer at the local hunter/jumper shows.
Haylee Mynyk’s 20 years of experience teaching riders of all levels provides her with the knowledge and patience to provide excellent instruction to both first time riders or those with more experience. Haylee has been with Rio Vista Farm since it’s first day of operation.
Natalie Pape also began her riding career with Susan, upon graduation from the University of Findlay with a degree in Equine Science she began working full time for Rio Vista Farm. Natalie also holds a Psychology degree from St. Edwards University- what better combination could there be to instruct riders of all ages!
Emilie Gardner attended West Texas A&M, graduating with a degree in Equine Industry and Business as well as Animal Science. While in college, she came back to Austin each summer to teach our Summer Camp program. She also competed on the university’s equestrian team, and competed at Nationals in 2016. Emilie spent some time working at Willo Oaks Equestrian Center in Louisiana before coming back to Rio Vista to work full time.
- Group Lessons: (45 minutes to 1hour) Available at the rate of $220 per month for once a week lessons, billed and signed up for on the semester or quarter system - Spring/Summer/Fall and Winter
- Private Lessons: (45 minutes) $75 for initial introductory private lesson. After initial private, lessons available on a monthly basis only for $330 monthly
Current Group Lesson Schedule
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 4:30 P.M.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday: 5:30 P.M.
- Tuesday and Thursday: 7:00 P.M.
- Wednesday and Friday: 11:00 A.M
- Thursday and Friday: 9:30 A.M.
- Saturday: 9:00 A.M., 10:00 A.M. , and 11:00 A.M.
- Private lessons can be scheduled Tuesday through Saturday